Sunday 4 January 2015

Hacker fakes German minister's fingerprints using photos of her hands

Title: Hacker fakes German minister's fingerprints using photos of her hands


Summary:
Jan Krissler, hacker, also referred to as Starbug in the hackers circle has managed to used high resolution photos, including one from a government press office, to successfully recreate the fingerprints of Germany’s defence minister Ursula von der Leyen. In a high profile stunt in 2013, he spoofed Apple’s Touched sensors within 24 hours of the release of the iPhone 5S. Using a smudge on the screen of an iPhone, he printed a dummy finger using wood glue and sprayable graphene, which successfully unlocked a phone registered to someone else’s thumb.

Facts/Phrases:
Ø  As the ACLU’s Jay Stanley told the Washington Post, “Biometrics are not secrets… Ideally, they’re unique to each individual, but that’s not the same thing as being a secret.”
Ø  Starbug agrees, telling Zeit in 2013 that “I consider my password safer than my fingerprint… My password is in my head, and if I’m careful when typing, I remain the only one who knows it.”

Opinion:
In my opinion, this highlights how new and digital media has become so advanced its helped hackers violate biometric systems. This is a simple evidence of how new and digital media can affect the audiences and the news.


No comments:

Post a Comment