Sunday 4 January 2015

Facebook apologises over 'cruel' Year in Review clips

Title: Facebook apologises over 'cruel' Year in Review clips


Summary:
This article is about how the social network, Facebook apologised after it showed one user a photograph of his recently-deceased daughter in its ‘Year in Review’ feature; many others had similar complaints such as dead dog, boyfriends house burning down and a dead fathers ashes.

Facts/Phrases:
Ø  “Yes, my year looked like that. True enough. My year looked like the now-absent face of my little girl. It was still unkind to remind me so forcefully,” he wrote in a post titled “Inadvertent Algorithmic Cruelty”.

Opinion:

In my opinion, this shows how Facebook’s reliance on algorithms and formulas to make the site and app better has actually just caused many more inconveniences.  

No comments:

Post a Comment